Plunge into Past Times & Pageantry
A model for the book, Canal Town, Palmyra retains its historic appearance. Internationally famous as the birthplace of the Mormon religion, with historic sites and a visitor center open all year. West of the village is Aqueduct Park, where its stone arched namesake carried the original Erie Canal over Ganarqua Creek. Also found here is the Aldrich Change Bridge, manufactured in 1858 and used to “change” mules across the canal from one side to the other. Other distinctive features include an 1890s general store “time capsule” and the Alling Coverlet Museum with the largest collection of handwoven coverlets in America.
Services at the Port of Palmyra
- Post Office
- Boat Launch for car-top watercraft